I am going to be giving you some extreme time management secrets that you should be using if you are a business professional. This is an advanced video. Not everyone is going to be able to do this. If you are just starting to think about time management, I have made some beginning videos about bullet journals that I have linked in the description box below. Once you feel comfortable with those, you are ready to tackle this video where I am going to tell you what I do. So I am going to talk about how to take time management to the next level. WATCH NOW
Links for beginning time management videos:
The ULTIMATE Business Mind Hack (Lists) https://wolvesandfinance.com/the-ultimate-business-mind-hack-lists/
How to bullet journal for business https://wolvesandfinance.com/how-to-bullet-journal-for-business/
Let’s start by talking about time. Something I have realized as I get older in life is how valuable time is. Time is your most valuable resource. One of the best ways to become successful is to make the most of the time you have. I find it incredible that so many people in the world today are wasting away their time. If you make good use of your time, you will create more value for the world, and you will make more money. So if you are a high performer, and I know that you are because only high performers watch my channel… If you are a high performer, you need to take your time management to the next level.
I am going to share a simple idea. Track your time. From the minute you wake up in the morning, to the minute you go to bed at night, track what you do. You know how workers in a factory will often punch a time clock? That is what you need to do with every minute of your day.
I know this sounds extreme, and I will be honest with you that this is hard. Most of you will not have the self-discipline to do this. You just will not be able to. But I know there will be at least one person out there that will try this and it will change their life.
Most people have all kinds of excuses, like when you get home from work you do not want to worry about your schedule and just relax. But your free time at home is your most valuable time. That is when you have the most control over your schedule. An excuse I had for a long time was that time management was something that only big CEOs and business owners had to worry about, but it does not work that way. Even if you are in an entry level position at a company, you need to track your time like a CEO. You need to start acting like a business leader first, and then people will notice and give you opportunities. And I know that tracking every minute of your day sounds extreme, but business is tough, and you need to be self-disciplined with your time if you are going to be successful.
So why exactly are we going through all this effort? I am going to give you five benefits.
- Data. You will suddenly have all this useful data on how you spend your time, and it will shock you. Most people do not know what they actually spend their time on, and this will give you powerful insights.
- Choices. Punching a clock before every activity forces you to make conscious choices about how you spend your time. Most people are just responding to fires throughout the day. They never consciously decide to spend the next 20 minutes on one specific task. By training yourself to make a conscious choice before you do anything gives you incredible power. You are suddenly controlling your day, rather than having your day control you.
- Strategy. Now that you have the data, and you are making choices, you can align your choices on how you spend your time with your strategy. You only have so much time in your day. So the decision about how to spend the next 20 minutes, is really about your priorities. And if you are really clear about the things you want to happen in your life, you can prioritize those activities. For instance, if you want to be more fit, how much time are you spending in your schedule exercising? If you want a better relationship, how much time are you spending with your partner? If you want a better job, how much time are you spending looking for a job? Whatever you want to have happen in your life, those are the activities you should be spending time on.
- Stress-free. This is something that really shocked me when I started tracking my time. It actually reduces stress. Because what most people do, is they are constantly multi-tasking. They are constantly thinking about all the different things they need to work on. Well if you are deciding that you are going to spend the next 20 minutes working on one thing, you can set everything else aside. You do not have to think about it or worry about it. All those things will be waiting for you at the end of your 20 minutes, where you will decide again what one task to prioritize next, and then forget about everything else until you are done. It is a much lower stress way to approach your day.
- Fulfillment. Most people want to relax and not worry about tracking their time. But relaxing is not really what you want. What you want is fulfillment. Everyone has an idea of what their dream life looks like. Well how you spend your time is your life. So if you come home from work and relax and turn on your TV, you are probably not feeling very fulfilled. And actually entertainment is very important, but you want to be strategic about it. Because I track my time, I can tell, the days when I feel grumpy or bummed out, are usually the days I have not enjoyed any entertainment. But I am very conscious about how I spend my time having fun. And then I make sure I set aside time to do something fun every single day.
Now there are a lot of different ways you can track your time. You can do it in an Excel spreadsheet. There are programs you can use to track your time online. You just need to find the way that works best for you. The one warning I would give is keep your time sheet and calendar separate. Your time sheet and your calendar are two separate things. Your calendar is to plan your week ahead of time and you want to keep it as open as possible. Your time sheet is to track your time, and you want it completely filled up.
So tracking your time is very simple. Write down how you spend your time from the moment you wake up until you go to bed at night. And if you try this you should feel all the benefits I listed within the first 24 hours. This is something you can do and get instant benefit. I recommend that you give it a try. This is something I personally do. It is hard and takes a lot of self-discipline. Very few people in business actually do this, but it is a game changer in your effectiveness as a business person.
Leave a comment down below letting me know what you think!
If you find these videos helpful, please subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Neither Zach De Gregorio or Wolves and Finance shall be liable for any damages related to information in this video. It is recommended you contact a CPA in your area for business advice.